The ARTIK 5/7/10 module communicates with the outside world either over Ethernet or using Wi-Fi®, and with its local ecosystem of edge devices using a combination of Wi-Fi and other wireless IoT technologies (possibly including ARTIK 0 devices). As a result, this shared Wi-Fi resource becomes a critical bandwidth and security focus.
Given their limited data content, you should consider IoT messages separately from normal Internet traffic to optimize bandwidth utilization. However, with both types of traffic sharing Wi-Fi, it makes sense for them to share a common encryption technology. And they can!
In this article group, we investigate aspects of communication and interaction with the outside world, from the point of view of the ARTIK module and its local ecosystem.
MQTT and Web Coding explores a "iight weight" protocol that competes with HTTP/HTTPS – and wins hands-down for speed on short messages. We use it in the local ecosystem of the ARTIK module and its edge devices, as well to transfer edge-device-related data to/from ARTIK Cloud.
- Secure Deployment looks at how data streams in formats like HTTPS and MQTT can be protected by SSL/TLS protocols. We also consider other aspects of security, like
- Keeping program loading holes from being exploited
- Re-establishing interrupted Wi-Fi links to keep the IoT connected and ready.
CoAP/IoTivity/ENM introduces the IoTivity environment providing end-to-end secure connectivity with ARTIK Cloud.
- Secure Element builds on Secure Deployment by introducing the ARTIK Secure Element and its benefits.
- Enables use of a secure client certificate
- Completely blocks direct software access to the Private Key
- Prevents hardware hacks to the Private Key.
Secure Update explains the mechanisms needed for pushing out over-the-air updates to IoT modules.
- Secure Modules / KMS describes how advanced users can "post-provision" the ARTIK "s" modules to establish security with corporate clouds and servers outside of ARTIK Cloud.
These articles cover current ARTIK hardware and software. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on upcoming releases.