Where do the antennas go?
It is good practice to attach antennas before powering the board to prevent signal ringing from possibly damaging a radio circuit.
ARTIK 530 and ARTIK 710 Antennas
There are two antennas included in the developer kit, one for ZigBee® and one for Wi-Fi®/Bluetooth®. Both are identical and interchangeable. The red stripes are removable rubber bands.
ARTIK 520 and ARTIK 1020 Antennas
There are four antennas included in the developer kit - three long antennas and one short antenna.
- The short antenna is used on the Low-Power, Wide-Area (SigFox®) antenna connector.
- The three long antennas are used on the Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, and ZigBee antenna connectors. All are identical. The red stripes are removable rubber bands.
Here are the antenna locations for the ARTIK 5 Ver. 0.5 developer board. The locations are the same on the ARTIK 10 ver 0.5 developer board.
Note that the coax connectors mounted on the developer board and connected to the ARTIK module with cables are passthroughs. You may rearrange the cables if needed. The illustrated setup will result in the best signals, however.
The antennas supplied with the ARTIK developer kit are of the following specifications.
|Antenna type||Dipole Antenna|
|Antenna peak gain||2.7dBi|
|Frequency||2.4GHz, 5GHz (for Wi-Fi, BT, ZigBee)|
FCC (United States) Compliance Statement
Replacement antennas must be of the same type, must be of equal or less gain than an antenna previously authorized under the same grant of certification:
– A3LATKM052000 for ARTIK 520
– A3LSIP005AFS30 for ARTIK 530
– A3LSIP007AFS00 for ARTIK 710
– 3LATKM102000 for ARTIK 1020
and must have similar in-band and out-of-band characteristics (consult specification sheet for cutoff frequencies). Any new antenna type, or higher gain antenna, approved under Part 15 requires a Class II permissive change, and the requirements of § 15.203 must be met.
IC (Canada) Compliance Statement
This radio transmitter:
– 649E-ATKM052000 for ARTIK 520
– 649E-SIP005AFS30 for ARTIK 530
– 649E-SIP007AFS00 for ARTIK 710
– 649E-ATKM102000 for ARTIK 1020
has been approved by Industry Canada to operate with the antenna types listed above with the maximum permissible gain indicated. Antenna types not included in this list, having a gain greater than the maximum gain indicated for that type, are strictly prohibited for use with this device. (RSS-GEN clause 8.3)